When it comes to funny, everything is subjective. However, according to a new study, geography plays a huge role in what people think is funny. What someone in New York might find hilarious might not even get a giggle down South or on the West Coast.
Researchers at the University of Colorado wanted to find out what city is the funniest in the country, so they developed an algorithm that factored in the following:
- the number of comedy clubs and comedy radio stations in the city
- the number of famous comedians born there
- the number of funny "tweeters" living there
- ratings of local audiences by traveling comedians
- frequency of visits to comedy websites and comedy-related web searches by residents
They found that the funniest city in America is the windy city of Chicago. Researchers noted, "The jokes that Chicagoans do tend to tell often feature deadpan and quick-witted humor, much of it directed at the foibles and frustrations of living in Chicago. They prefer to mine observational humor from the situations in which they find themselves. Such remarks seem to fit with the city’s professional comedy scene, since the city is known as a mecca for improv and stand-up."
Here are the Top 10 Funniest Cities:
- Washington, D.C.
- Portland, Oregon
- New York
- Los Angeles
- San Francisco